What are people saying about Leadership Odessa?
How long is the program?
The nine-month program kicks off with a two-day, mandatory weekend retreat. Then participants dedicate just one Thursday a month (September – May) to day-long adventures throughout Ector County.
Who Participates in Leadership Odessa?
Leadership Odessa attracts a diverse group of businessmen and women. Each class is comprised of 30+ participants from a variety of sectors, including education, medical, small business, banking, industry, hospitality, and nonprofit.
The Leadership Odessa program is open to anyone who currently lives or works in Odessa, and whose organization is a Chamber Member. If you are new to Odessa, it’s the quickest way to get plugged into the community. If you’re familiar with Odessa, take this program to find out all the things you’ve been missing!
Who runs Leadership Odessa?
Although overseen by the Odessa Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Odessa is essentially a participant-run program. The previous year’s graduates put their new leadership skills to work immediately, organizing into committees and facilitating the incoming class’s activities. This passing of the leadership torch has been working beautifully since the program’s founding in 1978.
What kind of commitment would I be making?
In order to graduate, participants must attend seven of the nine day-long sessions.
As explained above, each graduating class is responsible for facilitating the incoming class’s year of activities. Additionally, several Leadership Odessa graduates are peer-nominated to oversee the coming year’s one-month Junior Leadership program for high school juniors.
Many lifelong friendships (and even a few marriages) have resulted from Leadership Odessa.
What’s the program schedule?
Here is the 2018-2019 calendar currently underway:
- Welcome Reception @ The Odessa Chamber of Commerce – Thursday, September 6, 2018
- Mandatory Weekend Retreat @ Prude Ranch – Saturday, September 8 & Sunday September 9, 2018
- Session 1: Government & Public Safety – Thursday, October 18, 2018(8:00 – 5:00)
- Session 2: Business & Industry – Thursday, November 15, 2018 (8:00 – 5:00)
- Session 3: History & Culture & Jr. Leadership Odessa – Thursday, December 20, 2017 (8:00 – 5:00)
- Session 4: Medical Services – Thursday, January 17, 2019 (8:00 – 5:00)
- Session 5: TBD – Thursday, February TBD, 2019 (8:00 – 5:00)
- Session 6: Media & Education – Thursday, March 21, 2019 (8:00 – 5:00)
- Session 7: Social Services – Thursday, April 18, 2019 (8:00 – 5:00)
- Session 8: Roundup at the Chamber – Thursday, May 16, 2019 (8:00 am – 10:30 am) , THEN 6:30 PM Graduation Dinner at the Odessa Country Club
*Times may vary according to agendas*
Leadership Odessa always starts the day and ends the day at the Odessa Chamber of Commerce, 700 N. Grant, Suite 200 in the Bank of America Building.
How much does Leadership Odessa cost?
* Scholarships for half-tuition may be available (on a first come, first serve basis) for nonprofit organizations. Please contact Lynn Van Amburgh 432.333.7862 at the Chamber for more information.
When can I enroll?
Enrollment for the 2018-2019 class is now open. Enrollment deadline will be August 13, 2018. Class is formed on a first-come, first-serve basis. To find out more, please call Lynn Van Amburgh 432-333-7862, firstname.lastname@example.org, at the Odessa Chamber of Commerce.