Junior Leadership Odessa
Junior Leadership Odessa is a fast, fun way to exhibit the leadership roles and community involvement colleges are looking for. Participants make new friends and meet potential business mentors while going behind-the-scenes of Odessa’s busy infrastructure. As an added bonus, program graduates earn 10 Texas Scholar hours (or IB credit, if eligible).
How long is the program?
The roughly four-week program consists of 6 events:
- Saturday orientation retreat (8 am – 5 pm)
- Four evening sessions (5:30 pm – 9 pm), held on consecutive Mondays*, all sessions begin and end at the Chamber office (700 N. Grant, Bank of America Building, 2nd floor)
- Graduation ceremony (6:30 pm – 8:30 pm)
To graduate from the program, participants must attend the orientation retreat and three of the four evening sessions.
*Occasionally one evening will be switched from a Monday to a Tuesday. Any such change will be announced well ahead of time.
Who Participates in Junior Leadership Odessa?
Junior-year students from New Tech Odessa, Odessa High School, and Permian High School
Application forms can be obtained through your school counselor, or download the forms above.
Who runs Junior Leadership Odessa (JLO)?
JLO is a project of the Odessa Chamber of Commerce. Recent graduates from the Chamber’s sister program for business professionals (Leadership Odessa) organize and lead the Junior Leadership sessions.
What’s the program schedule?
Junior Leadership runs Jan. 26 – Feb. 26, 2019
To graduate from Junior Leadership you must attend the retreat and at least three of the four evening sessions.
- Sat., January 26, 8:25 am – 4:00 pm – Retreat, Odessa Regional Medical Center
- Mon., January 28, 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm – Media & Education, Odessa Chamber of Commerce*
- Mon., February 4, 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm – Law Enforcement & Government, Odessa Chamber*
- Mon., February 11, 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm – Medical & Social Services, Odessa Chamber*
- Tue., February 19, 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm – Arts & Culture, Odessa Chamber*
- Tue., February 26, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm – Graduation, Odessa Regional Medical Center
*Sessions will begin and end at the Odessa Chamber of Commerce, 700 N. Grant, Suite 200 (Bank of America building)
How much does Leadership Odessa cost?
FREE, thanks to the generosity of individual or business Members of the Chamber who donate funds or food to the program.
When can I enroll?
Enrollment for the 2019 class begins in November. Enrollment deadline is 5 pm, Friday, December 14, 2018. Class is formed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
To find out more, please call Lynn Van Amburgh 432-333-7862 at the Odessa Chamber of Commerce or email firstname.lastname@example.org